About Me

My photo
chicago, illinois, United States
Education was in Chicago, Emmett Grammar school and The Austin High School. Higher education was the corner of Madison and Central, "The Corner" on Chicago's west side. On one corner of "The Corner" was a drug store with a soda fountain where you could get drinks, etc. Outside among other things we pitched pennies and just hung out. On the other side of the street was Emmett Grammar School and the playground {PG}. It had a huge ball field where we spent alot of time. And down the street was the Bowling Alley [BA]., with about 32 alleys and pool and billiard tables. Alot of time was spent up there also. The Corner was a busy place where there were always "Characters" around from young guys to older men. Bookies, Gambling, and just hanging out. This was what we did from around 6th grade on. No drugs, no violence, just fun and sports and hanging out.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

corner 4

To get a feel for the Corner read my profile.

When we got High School age things pretty much was the same as far as the Corner was concerned, sports , hanging out, etc. The only thing that changed was we were able to drive and have steady girls. But that did not really detract from our time on the Corner. I started driving with a license when I was 15 although you had to be 16. I do not want to get into how that happened.

I remember my boy Ace, Gloomer, etc. telling me, when he was 15 or 16, he had to have a girlfriend. Shortly thereafter he had one and they are still married. Ace will confirm this, the woman should get a MEDAL, really. I met my wife on the Corner when she was 15 and I was either 15 or had just turned 16. She didn't live close to the corner maybe about 2 miles from it, but we went to the same HS. I knew her brother, he did not hang out like we did, he was studious and friendly but he spent his time with people like himself. One night I was driving down the Eisenhower with a friend going back to the Corner from downtown and he was telling me about this girl that was the sister of . I could not picture who she was. Girls did not spend time on the Corner but on Wednesday nights the girls clubs and boys clubs had their meetings, and afterwards would congregate on the Corner. My friend then pointed out who he was telling me about on the Eisenhower Expy. I went up to her told her I knew her brother, told her my name and asked her if she wanted to go out, we did, there was never anyone else, and we are still married. To show what good sense she had, I asked her that night if she wanted a ride home, she said no, she was going home with whoever she came with. She did give me her telephone number, but it gave her time to find out about who I was. Evidently she did not inquire to much, she probably went on instincts and she was the kind of person who relished the idea of changing someone, even if it took alot of years and it did take ALOT of years. Awhile back I asked her how she put up with me all those years, her answer was simple " I was committed to make the marriage work" simple and that was that. She also was a serious student, did not go out on school nights etc., and did not realize that there were people out their like the Corner guys and what they were about that there might have been a little intrigue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers