About Me

My photo
chicago, illinois, United States
Education was in Chicago, Emmett Grammar school and The Austin High School. Higher education was the corner of Madison and Central, "The Corner" on Chicago's west side. On one corner of "The Corner" was a drug store with a soda fountain where you could get drinks, etc. Outside among other things we pitched pennies and just hung out. On the other side of the street was Emmett Grammar School and the playground {PG}. It had a huge ball field where we spent alot of time. And down the street was the Bowling Alley [BA]., with about 32 alleys and pool and billiard tables. Alot of time was spent up there also. The Corner was a busy place where there were always "Characters" around from young guys to older men. Bookies, Gambling, and just hanging out. This was what we did from around 6th grade on. No drugs, no violence, just fun and sports and hanging out.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Corner 10 Oct.1 2009

To get a feel what the Corner was like read my profile.

We spent alot of time on the Corner, I cannot really remember going home to do homework, so we talked alot about nonsense. For example, one night I spied Ace pedaling a bike through the snow. Let me explain, Ace worked part time for a small liquor store delivering booze. They had a bike with a basket on the front, hence my boy pedaling said bike in the snow. This was reported to the boys who, I cannot remember exactly, but brought about chuckles and was talked about.
Another thing I remember was with the Nose. Noses father owned a club, and I seem to remember Nose said the name of said club was The Hound Dog and Bear Cat Lounge. I could be mistaken, but that's the name I remember. This was probably in 7th or 8th grade and we were not driving yet, at least some of us. Anyway Nose comes around all excited and tells us that the black Patti Paige was appearing at the club. This was a big thing as Patti Paige was a top singer with alot of top hits. This generated talk as we were impressed and also we could spend alot of time talking about this kind of stuff. I do not remember anyone talking about school subjects, they were not important, but Ace on the bike in the snow and The Hound Dog and Bear Cat Lounge, was important ,and for some reason, we could turn these into funny things. Fun was important and for me it still is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers